Pilgrimage church Marienberg
The Marienberg Pilgrimage Church is referred to as the “Pearl of the Salzach Valley”. When the Cistercians moved their abbey from Schützing to Raitenhaslach, there was already a Marienberg “Capella”. Over the centuries, the church has been renovated, expanded and reconstructed, most recently in 1760.
For the new church, Abbot Emmanuel II Mayr commissioned court master mason Franz Alois Mayr (1723-1771) from Trostberg. The frescos are the work of Munich painter Martin Heigl, a student of Johann Baptist Zimmermann, whose body of work focuses on the Virgin Mary.
Prince Archbishop Sigismund of Salzburg consecrated the church on 1 May 1765. To reach the church visitors must climb the 50 steps, which represent the 50 Ave Marias of the Rosary. Upon entering the church, the room and its decor leave a lasting impression. In the middle of the room is the high altar with its 17th century image of the Miraculous Madonna by Johann Georg Lindt – one of the sculptors resident in Burghausen from 1758. The Virgin Mary is depicted as a Queen of Heaven with a sceptre in her hand and Baby Jesus in her arms, surrounded by angels and saints.