Pedestrian zone and "Street of Fame" of the jazz legends
The Grüben area has been populated by artisans since the Middle Ages. The colourful, mostly late-Gothic houses continue to attract attention today. The pedestrian zone is a real crowd-puller as a focal point for culture and events and a centre for gastronomy, crafts and specialist shopping.
The Grüben was first mentioned in the official records of 1225 as a “fovea”, and as a “Grueb” in 1333. Almost all of the buildings were the craftsmen’s houses; they largely date from the late Gothic period.
They were repeatedly deluged by devastating flood waters over the course of the centuries. Since the construction of the quayside in 1969-1971, many of the ouses have been renovated as part of flood protection measures. Parallel to the Grüben along the foot of the castle hill is the Messerzeile, first mentioned in an official document in 1408, where mainly locksmiths and artist-craftsmen once.